Thursday 26 April 2012

Functional Movement Screen

Has anyone ever seen or used the Functional Movement Screen?  I am in the process right now of getting my FMS Certification and I'm quite intrigued by the concept behind it and the potentially great benefits of using it with my personal training clients.  I think it is a great tool to be used by fitness professionals out there.  With that I may as well tell you a little bit about it and why I like it :)

There are a number of high-level athletes or just everyday exercisers that are performing high-level activities even though they are insufficient in their fundamental movements.  This results in them creating poor movement patters and training around pre-existing problems.  The idea around FMS is to be able to individualize each workout program based on the persons weak link (a physical or functional limitation).  FMS attempts to pinpoint such weak links and alleviate them.  It will determine the greatest areas of movement deficiency and demonstrate limitations or asymmetries.  Ultimately, those who score poorly on the screens are using compensatory movement patterns during regular physical activity, leading to poor biomechanics and eventual injury.  The screen consists of 7 movement patterns; deep squat, hurdle step, inline lunge, shoulder mobility, active straight-leg raise, trunk stability push-up, and rotary stability.  Each movement pattern specifically targets areas of the body where functional limitations may exist.

Anyways, that is my little rant on FMS.  Check out there website www.functionalmovement.com for more information about it.  The certification is costing me $300, but I definitely think it is going to help benefit my programming and exercise prescription.

That's all for now!

Cheers,
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment